Elder Zachary Payne

Elder Zachary Payne

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Flippity Flu, Man!

Hey hey hey! There's not much to write this week....seriously. E Betham and I have been sick pretty much all week! What a bummer! It was one of those applicable "1 Nephi 18:15" moments. I still really enjoy the fact that mom's sixth "mother" sense is still working well. Her package from last week came with cough drops and Emergen-C and chap stick, which is pretty much what I've been using all week! Good call mom! So basically on Tuesday I started feeling a tickle in my throat and on Wednesday it was a full on sore throat. Then Thursday came and completely wiped me out...I woke up with a 101.7 F fever and sis Leonard said I needed to stay home. By this time, Elder Betham was about a day behind me and had a sore throat too. The next day the fever went down but everything else didn't, and Elder Betham felt worse so we stayed in again. At least we only had to cancel three appointments, two of which were dinner appointments with members. Saturday came and we were still advised to get some rest, so we rested up in time for another baptism at 4:00 pm! This time Brad got baptized! He's a big 16 year old kid. He plays football and wrestling and he's just a big teddy bear! He had a bunch of family and ward friends come to support him, which is always really cool to meet the family of the people you work with. That's one of the things I really like about this stake compared to back in Cedar...the fellowshipping is great! Anyway we did the baptism in the stake center's RS room, which has that cool auto-piano I mentioned before. Well, I "played" the hymns for the service and fooled everyone haha! During the postlude some people came up to me and caught me and saw that I actually wasn't playing and they all called me a cheater and laughed haha. One of these days I'll really know how to play the piano! It's one of my goals!

So on Tuesday we met up at the WML's house up in Stone Cliff. This guy has a basketball court and an elevator in his house, but that's beside the point. We were there to meet a young girl named Emmy. She's from Colorado City and grew up FLDS, which in other words means she grew up in a polygamist home. Now, I've never gotten to teach someone like that. I thought it would be easy since she already knows all about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants.....well turns out it was super awkward haha. I think a big part of it was we've never taught lesson one for like five weeks. Plus we just planned to get to know her and share a scripture or something. Well we got there and asked some questions and she's real quiet so we asked "Well Emmy what do you want to know about this church?" and she just shrugged and said "everything." So the WML Bro Wyson said well Elders just start from ground 0! And we got pressured into teaching the first lesson haha. It was kind of a train wreck but it wasn't too bad. Just the whole experience caught us off guard haha we've been so sheltered from lessons like that! Well I think she's been prepared either way and I'm pretty sure she's ready for baptism. We just gotta keep doing our part! Ex-FLDS people have to be interviewed by an apostle in order to get baptized though, so that'll be interesting. Anyway, we're not sure yet when our next appointment will be. That flu swept us up from the work like a tornado! Time to get things back together this week! I still have a runny nose and cough, but hopefully tomorrow we'll be cleared to go work!

Anyway thanks for the support and I'm glad mom and dad got the picture from the family we ate with last night haha. I love you guys!

Elder Payne!

No comments:

Post a Comment